DIY: Soda Can Brooch

I do love my brooches. Lately I've been more into the recycling spirit and thought of this awesome project that you could try out as well! The supplies you need are things you already have in your home - well, maybe not the brooch pin, but that's all, promise! - and it's really not that hard to make your own unique soda can brooch.

So dive in and have a try!


Things you'll need:

» empty soda can
» knife
» scissors
» small piece of sandpaper
» glue stick & superglue
» old advertisement leaflets » decorations (like buttons, felt, anything you'd like to use really...)
» brooch pin back bases (I bought mine here, but you can also find them at your local craftstore)

Let's get started!


1. Cut off the top of the soda can (with a knife). Clean it thoroughly. Cut out your desired shape using scissors. Be careful, 'cause if you're a novice like me, it's probable you might cut yourself. Abrade the edges of your little cut out piece of soda can.


2. Cut the advertisement leaflets in strips of 10cm. Make sure they are large enough to cover up your can. Using your glue stick, glue the edge of your paper and roll it up.


3. Glue the rolls onto your cut out brooch shape with superglue. Let it dry for a couple of hours.

4. Trim the excess paper.

5. To make your brooch shiny you can coat it with clear nail polish. Let it dry before going to the next step.


6. Get creative and start decorating your brooch base. I attached two buttons and a little felt beak with superglue.

7. Glue the brooch pin back base on with superglue and once again: let it dry.


8. You are done! Looking eco-fabulous, my dear!

If you're planning to make this brooch as well, let me know. I would love to see pictures!

Talk to you later!

11 reacties

  1. Da's echt leuk gedaan, Elisse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat leuk gedaan Elisse. Hoe kom je erop?! Ik ga meteen op zoek naar een blikje, ik zie hem al helemaal op mijn trui zitten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik kwam op het idee door deze jongedame: http://ragstocouture.com/soda-can-and-paper-necklace-diy-tutorial/

      Delete
  3. ow hihi hoe grappig (en schattig)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leuk :D Hoe kom je er toch altijd op?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, zo creatief! Ga me er zelf niet aan wagen, want ben totaal niet handig, maar ben ook wel benieuwd naar het resultaat van anderen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zo wijs! In het klein was het precies van lapjes stof gemaakt, als ge de titel niet leest natuurlijk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That brooch turned out so great!!! If I didn't know it was made from paper I would neverguess what materials you used, actually, it looks more like fabric. I think I'm gonna have to make myself some type of brooch too!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments make my day!