City guide: Berlin

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 , , 22 Comments

Finally(!) I found the time to make a little city guide from Berlin and show you what I did in the 3 days I was there. I divided it up in three categories. Hope you like it :)



» Café 100 Wasser
Simon-Dach-Straße 39
This is one damn fine place to eat breakfast! We paid less than €10 for a plate of deliciousness (I hear you asks what's in those little bowls? Well, creamcheese, guacamole, peanut butter, some kind of tzatziki, dried-tomato hummus and something we couldn't identify (but tasted good!) ). Accompanying the little bowls we got homemade bread, an egg sunny-side up, fresh fruit, a glass of fresh orange juice & a hot tea. Really cosy atmosphere.




» Anna Kriegbaum
Niederbarnimstraße 7
One of the cutest little cafés I had ever seen. My friends drank coffee, I had an Almdudler. We shared a huge piece of cake and enjoyed every bite of it. The woman who owns this place was so kind. :)




» Pure Origins
Georgenstraße 193
A very cosy café where you can eat a delicious panini and drink a hot coffee or tea to warm up a bit. It's also really close to Friedrichstraße, which is thé shopping street where you can find all big multiple shop businesses.


» Bagel Company
Friedrichstraße 98 / Georgenstraße 31
Yes! Bagels for everyone! Do I even have to explain my love for bagels again? A quick stop at the Bagel Company is ideal if you have to hurry up but still want to eat something yummy.





» Humana Second Hand
Frankfurter Tor 3
A huuuuuge thriftshop, where you can find real bargains if you search for them. They have an awesome collection from/for "housewives in the DDR". I didn't really take pictures because I didn't know where to look first. But definitely a must go if you're into thrifting!

» Frieda Hain
Gärtnerstraße 10
If you're looking for the perfect fabric, visit Frieda Hain! They have amazing (owly!) fabrics (unfortunately it's not cheap)


» Schokokreation
Französische Straße 24
Attention to all chocolate addicts: DO NOT ENTER. You will buy a looot of chocolate in here. You can even make your own chocolate! (But we didn't have the patience to wait in the line, since we were on our way to the Stasimuseum)


» Flohmarkt (flea market)
Mauerpark
Every Sunday there is a huge flea market in Mauerpark. Definitely worth a visit. My friend and I both bought warm winterboots for €9! What a bargain.




» The East side Gallery
Mühlenstraße
A very turistic place, but something you can't miss. The wall is a memorial for freedom. A lot of artists have cooperated in making this outdoor gallery.




» Der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität (or the central library of the Humboldt-University)
Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 1
The most beautiful and motivating(!) library I've ever seen.


» Gedenkstätte Berlin-Hohenschönhausen
Genslerstrasse 66
This is the former Stasi prison. For students the entrance really cheap, and there are guided tours (in English) every day (check their website for more info). Definitely a must go as well!


If you're not convinced yet, you can always check out Elise's blog (she's the friend I visited and who's living in Berlin for a whole year now) to see what her tips are! (written in Dutch!)

I hope you enjoyed! Don't forget to relax, chill, eat yummy food and enjoy the wonderful Berlin. I'm definitely going back (and I hope I passed on a little of my love for the city) :-)

Elisse

Twentysomething - journalist - crazy cat lady - creatieve duizendpoot - hart verloren in 't stad - fervent lezer